9.18.2013

Wisdom Wednesday: Be Yourself

While we normally share some pearls of wisdom every Wednesday here on notsosimplestyle, sometimes life gets in the way of writing and posting. The past week here in New York has been really busy with two old friends coming into town and plenty of fun with new friends as well.

I find myself becoming more comfortable here as time goes by. While I expected to eventually get into the rhythm of the "big city", I did not expect to adapt so quickly. Maybe my experience studying abroad in Rome has helped me to adjust, or maybe I'm just a New Yorker at heart! Regardless, I enjoyed playing tour guide for my visiting friends.

This week is all about individuality and finding your voice. As I continue further down the blogging path, I check myself to make sure the content I'm creating is a reflection of my style. Other than fashion, I have a passion for quotes (obviously) and photography, interests I have tried to incorporate here. The blogs I love the most display a strong personal voice writing-wise, and genuinely reflect the style and life of the person creating them. With that said, go forth and blog yourself!


If I am not for myself, who will be?
                   ~ Pirke Avot


My great mistake, the fault for which I can't forgive myself, is that one day I ceased my obstinate pursuit of my own individuality.
                    ~ Oscar Wilde


In our society, the ideal self is bold, gregarious, and comfortable in the spotlight. We like to think that we value individuality, but mostly we admire the type of individual who's comfortable 'putting himself out there.'
                     ~ Susan Cain


To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
                      ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


Be yourself. Unapologetically.
                      ~ Kesha


It is the business of the very few to be independent; it is a privilege of the strong. And whoever attempts it, even with the best right, but without being OBLIGED to do so, proves that he is probably not only strong, but also daring beyond measure.
                       ~ Friedrich Nietzsche


I think the reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except yourself.
                        ~ Rita Mae Brown


In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.
                         ~ Coco Chanel


If everyone is thinking alike, then no one is thinking.
                         ~ Benjamin Franklin


Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.
                          ~ Robert Frost