9.04.2013

Wisdom Wednesday: Fashion and Style

Happy Wednesday! With Wednesday comes the inevitable "hump day" blues, sense of disillusionment, exhaustion, and longing for the weekend. Like a good shot of espresso, an inspiring quote can often inspire and perk me up, ready to take on what the rest of the day and week holds. Each Wednesday here on notsosimplestyle features a few bits of wisdom on varying topics, in the hopes you may find humor, inspiration, solace and affirmation.

This Wednesday is all about fashion, style and dressing as yourself. With Fashion Week almost upon us here in NY, all I can think of is the excitement for this season's collections, although I mostly spend my time wondering if that girl on the subway is actually a model or just really tall... 

Clothes are an integral part of how I express myself, who I want to be, who I am, and how I feel. As I have explained to my father many times, dressing myself is not purely functional but an artistic, creative and cathartic experience. Glad to know there are others who share my opinion. Happy Fashion Week!

Fashions fade, style is eternal.
                       ~ Yves Saint Laurent

Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.

                        ~ Coco Chanel

One is never over-dressed or under-dressed with a Little Black Dress.
                        ~ Karl Lagerfeld

Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves, and of course, each other. If girls dressed for boys, they'd just walk around naked at all times. 
                         ~ Betsey Johnson

Don't be into trends. Don't make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way you live.
                         ~ Gianni Versace

Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak.
                         ~ Rachel Zoe

Over the years I have learned that what is important in a dress is the woman who is wearing it.
                          ~ Yves Saint Laurent

Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world.
                          ~ Marilyn Monroe

Fashion anticipates, and elegance is a state of mind...a mirror of the time in which we live, a translation of the future, and should never be static. 
                          ~ Oleg Cassini

Fashion is not necessarily about labels. It's not about brands. It's about something else that comes from within you.
                          ~ Ralph Lauren