8.15.2013

Wisdom Wednesday: Friendship

Happy Wednesday! With Wednesday comes the inevitable "hump day" blues, sense of disillusionment, exhaustion, and longing for the weekend. Like a good shot of espresso, an inspiring quote can often inspire and perk me up, ready to take on what the rest of the day and week holds. Each Wednesday here on notsosimplestyle features a few bits of wisdom on varying topics, in the hopes you may find humor, inspiration, solace and affirmation.

This Wednesday is all about friends and friendship. During especially turbulent periods of our lives, friends can pick us up and make us laugh. I am particularly thankful for my friends and all they do for me. Sometimes being a friend isn't as easy as it seems. True friendship demands sacrifices, just as any form of love, but the rewards are certainly worth it. Here are some quotes about those people that make us laugh, love us no matter what, and sometimes drive us crazy.

It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.
                ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

True friends stab you in the front.
                ~ Oscar Wilde

Rare as is true love, true friendship is rarer.
                ~ Jean de La Fontaine

My God, this is a hell of a job. I have no trouble with my enemies. I can take care of my enemies all right. But my damn friends, my goddamn friends. They're the ones that keep me walking the floor nights.
                ~ Warren G. Harding

She is a friend of my mind...The pieces I am, she gather them and give them back to me in all the right order.
                 ~ Toni Morrison

Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.
                  ~ Oprah Winfrey

It's so much more friendly with two.
                  ~ Piglet

Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it's all over.
                   ~ Octavia Butler

Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if only they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.
                    ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

Friends can help each other. A true friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself--and especially to feel. Or, not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at the moment is fine with them. That's what real love amounts to--letting a person be what they really are.
                      ~ Jim Morrison

Hope you enjoyed the quotes! See you later this week!