10.09.2013

Wisdom Wednesday: Music

Happy Wednesday! With Wednesday comes the inevitable "hump day" blues, sense of disillusionment, exhaustion, and longing for the weekend. Like a good shot of espresso, an inspiring quote can often inspire and perk me up, ready to take on what the rest of the day and week holds. Each Wednesday here on notsosimplestyle features a few bits of wisdom on varying topics, in the hopes you may find humor, inspiration, solace and affirmation.

Being in the field requires a particular kind of music, the kind that makes you feel happy, relaxed, and surrounded by friends. Some songs stay on repeat while others bite the dust (pun intended). There are some songs that will always remind me of archaeology regardless of where I am. Music becomes memories, emotions, people and places. It consoles, entertains, and sets the tone for whatever may come your way. This week I wanted to explore what some famous people had to say about the magic of music. While I think its pretty powerful, it's nice to see that sentiment reflected by more potentially credible sources.  


Without music, life would be a mistake.
                        ~ Friedrich Nietzsche


I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was necessity for me-like food or water.
                         ~ Ray Charles


Music expresses that which cannot be said and on that which it is impossible to be silent.
                         ~ Victor Hugo



Music is well said to be the speech of angels.
                         ~ Thomas Carlyle


Music is a strange thing. I would almost say it is a miracle. For it stands halfway between thought and phenomenon, between spirit and matter.
                          ~ Heinrich Heine


Music the shorthand of emotion.
                          ~ Leo Tolstoy


Who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once.
                           ~ Robert Browning


Music is the strongest form of magic.
                           ~ Marilyn Manson


If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
                           ~ Gustav Mahler


When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have.
                           ~ Edgar Watson Howe