10.30.2013

Wisdom Wednesday: Being a Girl

Happy Wednesday! With Wednesday comes the inevitable "hump day" blues, sense of disillusionment, exhaustion, and longing for the weekend. Like a good shot of espresso, an inspiring quote can often inspire and perk me up, ready to take on what the rest of the day and week holds. Each Wednesday here on notsosimplestyle features a few bits of wisdom on varying topics, in the hopes you may find humor, inspiration, solace and affirmation.

Being a woman, girl, lady, or gal isn't a walk in the park. Sometimes it's great. Sometimes it's fighting against societal expectations, or struggling to fit in, or wanting things to just be different. It's being a tomboy and a girly-girl and something in between. It's being yourself. I could go on and on and probably will at some point but frankly other people have said it better.


A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with bricks others have thrown at her.
                     ~ Unknown


Every girl is expected to have caucasian blue eyes, full Spanish lips, a classic button nose, hairless Asian skin with a California tan, a Jamaican dance hall ass, long Swedish legs, small Japanese feet, the abs of a lesbian gym owner, the hips of a nine-year-old boy, the arms of Michelle Obama and doll tits. This is why everyone is struggling.
                      ~ Tina Fey


Growing up, I wish I hadn't tried so hard to fit in. I'd tell myself to just embrace what you were born with because it's beautiful and you were made like that for a reason. It's tough being a girl. I think we need all the support we can get.
                       ~ Shay Mitchell


Feminism to me means fighting. It's a very nuanced, complex thing, but at the very core of it I'm a feminist because I don't think being a girl limits me in any way.
                       ~ Tavi Gevinson


Better to be strong than pretty and useless.
                       ~ Lilith Saintcrow


Girls will get together just to get together. Guys need an activity as an excuse. Otherwise it's too homo for them to handle.
                        ~ Megan McCafferty


One of the biggest mistakes girls can make concerning their romantic life is sitting around waiting for their prince to find them, rather than getting out there and finding him themselves.
                        ~ Meg Cabot


I love the person I've become because I fought to become her.
                        ~ Kaci Diane


We must teach our girls that if they speak their mind, they can create the world they want to see.
                        ~ Robyn Silverman


Show me a girl with her feet planted firmly on the ground and I'll show you a girl who can't put her pants on.
                         ~ Annik Marchand